Tofu Plankton Meatloaf

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Got Breast Milk?

Thousands of milky mothers gathered today on Capital Hill this afternoon in order to rally in support of Breastfeeding.

Now I know what you’re thinking already: “Uh-oh, what’s he got against breastfeeding?” Right?

Well, nothing.

Actually, I’m in favor of anything that promotes the exposing of more female breasts in public; whether it be for the sake of art, to breastfeed, or simply just letting them hang loose from a balcony overlooking Bourbon Street during Marti-Gras – whatever!

The only thing that really unnerved me, was that during the interview, the spokeswoman for the whole publicized “Nurse-In” rally was carrying and feeding her own son who must have been at least 3 or 4 years old.

Huh? Pardon my male naivety and all, but how is this possible?

This man-child that she was carrying around with her and feeding while she carried on with her political diatribe regarding lactating women’s rights and healthy public attitudes toward breastfeeding was big enough to be capable of light manual labor!

Now there’s a kid who’s going to have some intimacy issues later in life!

Now, I’m all for the feeding of wee babies in public – It’s natural and it’s beautiful! But have you seen the breasts of a woman who is still breastfeeding a child that is old enough to order his own drink without being carded?

Now THOSE are nipples that I can stand NOT to be confronted with in public, thank you very much!

3 Comments:

  • I must agree with you on this one. I think it has more to do with mom not wanting to let go than with any need on the part of the child. However, some people in the Laleche League believe it's psychologically good for the child later in life, like co-sleeping. I don't know, but it is WEIRD to see kindergarten-age kids still suckling.

    By Blogger Wandering Coyote, at 5:48 AM  

  • Hell yeah! The whole thing is a little too Neverland Ranch for me.

    By Blogger crazytigerrabbitman, at 5:00 PM  

  • Breast feeding is a tricky subject. Before I had my boys, I thought the whole thing was important, but rather icky. My first boy hated the whole process, so I ended up using a breast pump then putting "the good stuff" into bottles for ol' fussypants. Son #2 on the other hand latched on immediately and would not let go. I finally had to leave him with his grandma for 3 days when he was 18 months old to break the habit, and he would still put his hand down my shirt until he was 4. He's a boob man, that's all. I can't wait to see what sort of girlfriend he's going to bring home when he's 16!

    Why am I telling you this? My point is that breast feeding takes 2, and you don't have a lot of control over the proclivities of your kid. I would have loved to have 'normal' babies instead of Mr. Fussy and Mr. Frottage, but the fact is: you get what you get. So give the breast feeders a break, they're probably just doing their best.

    I like your site, btw! I found it via Breakup Babe.
    Cheers,

    By Blogger Nova, at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home