Tofu Plankton Meatloaf

Friday, September 23, 2005

Katrina Tribute

You know what I love about natural disasters - the bevy of benefit concerts and charity fundraisers that inevitably take place afterwards.

Oh sure, these hosts of talented musicians and celebrities really care about the cause they are rallying in support of, but I’m also sure you could just about drag any significant musician out of the woodwork no matter how eccentric, removed from normal society, or just plain mbittered they have become in this point in their lives. Shit, Michael “Freakshow” Jackson has even enlisted the aid of both Snoop Dogg and R. Kelly to help him with one such charity fundraiser project for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Great! Both a known and a suspected pedophile and an OG gangster; doesn’t that just set the 'ol heartstrings a-tingle? Yay! Break out the “Jesus Juice” - it’s time to PAR-TAY!

I bet you could even convince Johnny Lyden out of hiding these days if you were to just tempt him with the right amount of distraught tragedy-befallen refugees. Who could refuse such a promotional bit?

However, because I am poor and because I usually live too far away from these one-off charity benefits and profile concerts, I have decided instead to create my own perfect musical compilation so that I can just sit at home on my ownsome in front of my stereo and still feel like I'm lending my support for the victims of the Gulf Coast devestation.

My “Katrina Tribute” would play as follows:

When the Levee Breaks – Led Zeppelin
New Orleans Is Sinking – Tragically Hip (could also use ‘Nautical Disaster’)
Riders On the Storm – The Bores, err, Doors.
It’s Gonna Rain – Violent Femmes
Shelter From the Storm – Bob Dylan
River Deep, Mountain High – Ike & Tina Turner Revue
Stormy Monday – The Allman Brothers
Texas Flood – Stevie Ray Vaughn
Fixing A Hole – The Beatles
Run For the Hills – Iron Maiden
Alabama Getaway – The Grateful Dead (Or possibly even ‘Hell In a Bucket’)
Goin’ Mobile – The Who
Drown – Smashing Pumpkins
Five Feet and Rising – Johnny Cash
Why Does It Always Rain on Me? – Travis
Here Comes the Rain – Eurythmics
Dead Shrimp Blues – Robert Johnson
Sail Away – Styx
Who’ll Stop the Rain? – Creedence Clearwater Revival
Let It Rain – Derek & the Dominoes


Honorable Mention: ‘I Ran’ by Flock of Seagulls. (Just because I love clever anagrams)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home