Tofu Plankton Meatloaf

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Rappin' About Rap

I think I have figured out why black people seem to be so uptight.

I realize this is a nasty stereotype, but you can’t deny it, black people have a lot to be uptight about - crime, poverty, gangs, discrimination, etc. At least that’s what I’m lead to believe from the many interviews and disparaging claims of prejudice being perpetrated by the white man made by black people in the media during times of crisis. After all, how many white gangbangers do you see running around the ‘hood in Oakland? I’m no expert, but I’ve seen ‘Colors’ and ‘Boyz in the Hood’ – so I know what’s up, dig?

While driving home with a co-worker of mine today, he slipped on a mixed disc on his CD player of his favorite rap songs. Now, he’s no hardcore OG-gangster type, but he sure digs his bustin' rhymes and phat beats. Fair enough. But, literally, every song on that compilation disc began with some sort of alarm, siren, or sound of some policeman barking orders into a megaphone – never mind all the usual “kill whitey” bullshit. Shit, if this is how most rap music starts, I’d be pretty fucking anxious to should I choose to listen to rap 24/7.

Now, granted, I’m no connoisseur or authority on the subject of rap music. But it seems to me that much of what has been released is pretty rife with some pretty tensive sounds. Christ, it’s enough to make anyone more than just a little anxious. It’s no wonder that some black people are so freaked out by the sound of police sirens going by. Plop on your average rap album and it begins with what sounds like the fucking fall of Saigon.

Yeah, I can understand black people being a little jittery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home