Tofu Plankton Meatloaf

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Chill Out

The first winter weather warning was issued this evening in anticipation of a possible large snowfall over the next few days. Suddenly, if the current media coverage of this developing weather pattern is anything to go by, we’re on a state of provincial readiness in anticipation for this possible horrific winter disaster. The provincial government and city officials are all but calling in the National Guard just because someone spotted a snowflake over Lake Ontario.

Umm, yeah….and?

Excuse me - it’s fucking SNOW people! We live in CANADA…remember? Snow is practically part of our national heritage. It’s every fucking bit as Canadian as back bacon, Molson’s Canadian and Wayne-fucking-Gretzsky!

Seriously…what’s the big whoop? When did we Canadians start getting all panicky over just snow? Thank you CNN! Christ, next we'll probably be building fallout shelters the next time the weatherman forecasts heavy rain.

I remember standing outside in the backyard with my toboggan on winter evenings; looking up at into sky and just praying for an extra snow day. I remember tunneling out of my front door as a kid during the infamous Blizzard of ’77 for Pete sakes! Of course I understand now that snow has lost all that childhood luster of fresh innocence that it used to have for me. In fact, I’ll go so far as to say that I like snow about as much as I like a good root canal. But I’m not exactly going to freak out and go all ‘Orange Alert’ just because some weatherman predicts “possible heavy snowfall, and temperatures falling below freezing”.

Get a hold of yourselves! Chill out – literally.

1 Comments:

  • I used to live in Los Angeles and you'd think the world was ending everytime it rained. Not only was there 10-12 fatal accidents on the freeways each night, but the news would feature the rain. That's right, feature, as in:

    "Wow, it was really raining earlier, let's cut to a shot of how it was raining 45 mins ago."
    -2 min rain shot-
    "Now let's go up to Santa Barbra and watch their rain"
    -more rain-

    Maybe it should snow down there, at least it would give them something intesting to talk about
    - oh wait, 30 mins of talking about snow is just as boring.

    By Blogger Nox, at 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home